Sunday, April 26, 2015

Living with Divorced Parents

According to statistics, 1 in 2 marriages result in divorce. My parents were an unlucky 1 of 2.

My parents split when I started high school. This was a stressful age, let alone I was brand new to the school and town. I didn't know too many people well enough to reach out for support and my brother was older and more acquainted with everyone else and my sister off in college.

I reacted pretty well overall, as my parents had argued and disagreed since I can remember. I also realized I was at the age that I needed to "man up". Now I'd like to say this life event made me a really emotionally stable person.

This was quite the opposite. I have always been an extremely sensitive person and still am to this day. I may not show it in person, but when I am alone, I let all my emotions out. Pretty much anything can make me cry. A good movie, Ellen episode, ASPCA commercial. It's rough living a sensitive life.

My main point is that having divorced parents doesn't have to be such a gloomy time in your life. It's not the end of the world even if it seems like it. Everything will work itself out in the end. Just realize you are loved. Stay positive.

6 comments:

  1. My parents also split up, I adjusted to it well. I was old enough to understand they were better off apart. It is still a very sensitive subject though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I always struggle a little when someone brings up the topic, especially if it is someone who I am not as familiar with. I've found I don't feel comfortable personally talking about my experience.

      Delete
  2. I have been extremely fortunate and have never had to deal with my parents getting a divorce. However, I am just like you in the fact that I am an exceptionally sensitive person. Just this past weekend we finished our last round of shows of Washburn's The Glass Menagerie. Never in my life, as an actor, have I cried and been so sad that a play has ended. It's the simple things that affect my emotions the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents are still together, so thankfully I haven't had to experience a divorce. I am just like you when it comes to being sensitive, I have to change the channel when ASPCA commercials come on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents are still together but a lot of my friends have parents that are divorced so I kind of know how it is

    ReplyDelete
  5. This summer I am going to be helping with a program at our church that reaches out to kids of divorce to give them a safe place to talk about their feelings. My parents fought like crazy, but my dad was a truck driver. They are still married (42 years strong), but God alone was able to heal their marriage. It always breaks my heart for children who live in two homes and worlds.

    ReplyDelete